It’s here! It’s here!
I am so excited to bring to you, the one, the only, the Pediatric Pocket Guide for Occupational Therapists + 6 expansion packs!
This year I made it one of my goals to create another guide, but I wanted it to be useful for OT students and OTs alike. My passion is in pediatrics and I always want to make sure that I am providing the best care for any kiddos that I see, but we all know how hard it is to remember all of those milestones, reflexes and skills!
There is only one other OT pocket guide out there (OTReference Pocket Guide, which I own and used every day during my acute care rotation), and after reaching out to the creator to see if she had something for pediatrics in the works, she encouraged me to take on the project and make my own! Thus, the Pediatric Pocket Guide for OTs was born.
Since I am not currently working, I made creating this guide my full-time job. The creation of this guide and the expansion packs took about a month of research, formatting, illustrating, and meeting with manufacturers to bring it to life (at about 100 hours per week I might add).
What’s in the Guide?
In the original guide you will find 17 pages consisting of:
- Reflexes (onset, integration, testing)
- Developmental Milestones up to 24 months
- Handwriting Development and Grasps
- Scissor Skill Development
- In-Hand Manipulation Skills
- Dressing Skills
- Visual Skills
- Feeding and Oral-Motor Skills
- Assessment Overviews
- Common Conditions in Pediatrics
- Emotions Reference Card
- American Sign Language Cards (the alphabet, hello, no, yes, please, thank you, sorry, toilet, more, hungry, thirsty)
- How to Calculate Adjusted Age for Pre-Term Infants
- Common Abbreviations for Pediatric Documentation
There are also 6 expansion packs that you can add on to your guide:
- American Sign Language Expansion Pack (7 pages)
- Feeding Expansion Pack (3 pages)
- Oral Anatomy
- Feeding Terminology
- Quick Screening Observation Checklist
- Vision Expansion Pack (2 pages)
- Eye Anatomy
- Vision Terminology
- Pediatric Vision Conditions
- Tummy Time Expansion Pack (2 pages)
- Illustration of Infant in Tummy Time that can be used for parent education
- Benefits of Tummy Time
- Head Shape Illustrations (Normocephaly, Brachiocephaly, Scaphocephaly, Plagiocephaly)
- First-Then Expansion (1 page)
- Use this card to give your kiddo a visual to let them know what to expect during therapy (i.e. first wash hands, then play)
- On the back of the card is a blank clock (both analogue and digital) to give your kiddo a visual reminder of the time, or even to practice writing and reading the time!
- Notes Expansion (1 page)
- On the front of this card is a space to write your name, while on the back it is blank, giving you plenty of room to jot down quick notes, or even to use for communication in instances where verbal communication may be ineffective
- The binder ring allows you to rearrange the contents of your guide and add on any expansion pack of your choice!
- The laminated cards are water/dirt resistant (I wouldn’t suggest dunking them in a bucket of water, but if some liquid splashes on them, it is easy to sanitize/clean!)
- You can use dry-erase markers on the cards, this is great for the Notes Expansion and the First-Then Expansion
- At 3″ wide x 5″ tall, this lightweight guide is perfect to keep in your pocket and pull out for a quick reference during sessions or while documenting
How to Order:
You can purchase the guide and expansion packs on my Etsy (OTCaroline).
If you would like to make a bulk order, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can see what our options are!
I am also happy to share that in my efforts to remain sustainable and eco-conscious, while also producing a physical product, I made it a goal to work with a small, local business and to use recycled shipping materials. I work with a small printing company in my area to manufacture these guides, therefore reducing my carbon footprint and taking away the need to produce the guide in mass quantities or use unsustainable shipping methods, while keeping costs low. I also chose to use eco-friendly shipping materials, specifically recycled shipping materials that can also be reused, to keep my environmental impact as small as possible (so please, keep and use the bubble mailer if you order a guide!)
Questions, Comments, Concerns, Recommendations?
My business email is always open and I am happy to answer your questions! I try my best to check my email daily and respond promptly.
Business email: email@example.com